Avadopts Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booooooooks

+3
PhazonDragon
TheDarkCynder
kaerlighed
7 posters

Go down

Booooooooks Empty Booooooooks

Post  kaerlighed Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 pm

I am a book nerd and thought I'd share my favorite books with you and you share with me. Smile

- Guardians of Ga'hoole (series; 14 books) by Karthryn Lasky (Info)
- Warriors (series; so far 38 books) by Erin Hunter (Info)
- Monster by A. Lee Matinez (Info)
- House of Night (series; so far 7 books) by P.C Cast & Kristin Cast (Info)
- Darkest Powers (Trilogy; 3 books of course) by (Book 1)(Book 2)(Book 3)

These are a few of the series I own. If I was to force you into reading one of these books, it'd be the Darkest Powers Trilogy.
kaerlighed
kaerlighed

Back to top Go down

Booooooooks Empty Re: Booooooooks

Post  TheDarkCynder Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:05 am

Okay, my favorite books?

-Copper Sun
-Warrior Cats
-Time Cat

I can't think of anything else right now.
TheDarkCynder
TheDarkCynder

Back to top Go down

Post  PhazonDragon Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 am

Long post is long. You have been warned. XD

If you want a good series with plenty of humor (honestly, there have been times where I've been laughing so hard, I was crying) try looking up the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. He's a British author, so yes, his kind of humor's going to be a bit different than the States, but I like it, especially when compared to the crude jokes that seem to be so prevalent on TV now... ._. /rant. There are a number of novels in Discworld, and the first one written was The Color of Magic, thought there are a few story arcs, so there isn't a requirement to read them in order. Here's a reading guide if interested.

Anyway, I've read the first Guardians of Ga'hoole, and liked it, but I haven't bother to pick up the others. Warriors I like, though I haven't kept up with anything past the first series, with Firestar. ;D Imma lazy. Actually, it's not laziness. It's me having a plethora of other, and in my opinion, better books to read that push other series aside.

I'm a fan of the Temeraire series, by Naomi Novik. Her writing is kinda hard to get used to, for me anyway, because of how many times she's used a semicolon on each page, but I've heard that she gets better as the series goes on. I'm starting to re-read the second novel, having not really paid attention my first time through it. I think I only have the first four books, and there might 5... or 6 novels in the series so far. Either way, the series follows this naval captain, and the dragon that's he's managed to... I'll say bond, though that's not really what happens but yeah, bond to. It has dragons (yaaay!) and is takes place during the Napoleonic Era. So Napoleon. On a dragon. How much more awesomer can it get?

Another good series, which I think I enjoy more than Temeraire, oddly enough, is the Age of Fire series. This is by E. E. Knight, who also does the Vampire Earth series, which is pretty good as well. The Age of Fire series centers around dragons, as the main characters. The first three novels follow three clutchmates through the beginning part of their lives. And I won't say anything else so I don't spoil it if anyone wants to read.

The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey is probably one of the most extensive dragonrider novels I've ever read. I've read the books, and tolerate them, but they aren't exactly the most... entertaining. They have some more adult themes at times, so be forewarned if interested. I find it much more fun to roleplay Pern since there tends to be more freedom in the Pern fandom than in the canon. Anne's son, Todd, has recently started to pick up where his mother left off, and he takes a decidedly different turn on Pern. I haven't read enough of either mother or son to actually decide if I like either better than the other, so... yeah.

As for single books, I enjoyed The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak. It takes place in Germany during WWII, so it's not for the faint of heart or easily annoyed... And before you ask, no it's not your typical Holocaust survivor story. It's really quite sweet, and it made me cry at times. Plus, it's narrated by Death, and his use of words, specifically color, is beautiful.

One more, I swear. I found Dragon Bones by Patricia Briggs to be a nice work of art too. It's been a while since I've read it, so my memory might be a little skewed, but I did get this as a gift from a friend, and I enjoyed it. It's part of a 'duology' but I've sadly only read the first book, Dragon Bones. The second is called Dragon Blood, if I recall correctly, and it's actually on my list of books to buy.

So, tl;dr:
  • Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett
  • Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik
  • Age of Fire Series by E. E. Knight
  • The Dragonriders of Pern Series by Anne McCaffrey (and some books, Todd McCaffrey)
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • Dragon Bones, The Hurog Duology by Patricia Briggs

Are a few of my favorite books/series in general/at the time. I don't think I'll ever get tired of Discworld, Temeraire, or the Age of Fire series, but DRoP tends to waver... and the other two may or may not fall off this list in a few years time. Depends on what I read in a few years. XD
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  kaerlighed Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Never heard of all of those books you listed there, PhazonDragon. lol

I forgot to mention some of the manga books I adore reading. Yes, I place them under books. lol

- Vampire Knight
- Death Note
- The Record of a Fallen Vampire

I own those three and I liked them. TRFV is still being written; the other two are completed. They are manga books I enjoyed reading. Also likes watching the anime for the first two as well.
kaerlighed
kaerlighed

Back to top Go down

Post  PhazonDragon Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:55 am

Not even one? Wow. XD Maybe I'm just a sucker for the lesser-known novels. I do recommend all of them though. XD Though I'm surprised you haven't heard of Pern. -shrugs-

Heyheyhey. If you're going to list manga, at least let me know, because I've been getting back into that Japanese phase of mine again. And I think I'll save you all a bit of reading.

My current fave manga is Hellsing. I picked it up when I was in either grade school or high school, so maybe 5-6 years ago. I was interested in it... But it's for more mature audiences, so I was turned off by it then. However, I did buy the first volume, which I'm staring at right now. It's a manga that takes place in London, and deals with vampires, the undead, and the supernatural stuff like that. :D Swearing, blood, gore, violence... Not for the faint of heart or the innocent minds.

I've also been a fan of Fullmetal Alchemist for a long time. Probably since the anime first aired in the States. All I know is that my cousin picked it up and recommended it to me. There are 27 novels, and it follows the story of two brothers, one of which is a soul bound to a suit of armor, and the other with a mechanical arm and leg. Interesting stuff. I've been getting back into it, since I never officially finished the series, in my opinion. I had the end spoiled for me, and I've seen the movie, but I haven't finished the anime.. Either one, in fact.

Wolf's Rain is another manga that I like. There are only two volumes, so it's a short read if you don't want to spend a lot of time or money on a good series. The manga, I believe is based off of the anime, so there's that, but I haven't seen enough of it to say anything about it. Anyway, WR deals with wolves, and how they are nearly extinct in this... futuristic Earth-type setting. The main part of the plot says that when the world ends, Paradise will appear, but only wolves know how to get to Paradise.

Others I also enjoy, but haven't read in a while are Rurouni Kenshin, Chrono Crusade, Cantarella, and Megaman.

Out of curiosity, would you recommend Vampire Knight or Death Note for me? I've been looking around to find some new manga to get into (though I really should finish all of these other ones first... |D) and it seems like nothing's striking my fancy at this moment. Maybe I just really want to finish Hellsing or something... But a good friend of mine likes Death Note--I haven't been that interested to tell the truth, and Vampire Knight isn't sounding too promising either. Hah. Anyway... Based on what I've said are my favorites... would you recommend Vampire Knight or Death Note?
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  kaerlighed Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Out of Death Note and Vampire Knight, I think you'd rather like Vampire Knight. It's hard to say truly.

When I first came to reading Vampire Knight, It was quite boring to me, but I'm only talking about the first few books. Later on, things start happening and you learn many thing about the characters. Sometimes it's kinda hard to follow the characters only because some look alike and there are so many. If you are like me (I tend to read a little either online or from a friends book then purchasing it) I'd read maybe the first few chapters online; there's like 5ish in the first book.

It's got quite to story to it, the best part though are the last few books when stuff start happening. the 11th recently came out.

I would have suggested Absolute Boyfriend, but from the one's you listed, I'm not sure you'd like it. I only read the first 4 books. and there are 6 if I remember correctly.

I have recently got into manga books so I only know the four I mentioned, but reading the plot line of Wolf's Rain, I might actually pick up that manga and read it sometime.
kaerlighed
kaerlighed

Back to top Go down

Post  Xmashorse Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Hard to pick favorites when it comes to books, but here are some:
House of night, by P.C. and Kristen Cast (The books are Marked, Betrayed, Chosen, Untamed, Hunted and Tempted. The next one, Burned, is yet to be released)
Inheritance by Christopher Paolini (The books are Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr. The last one is yet to be released and does not yet have a name)
Harry Potter and the Deathly hallows by J.K. Rowling
The lion, the witch and the wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Sadly, I tried to read LOTR by J.R.R. Tolkien, since I'm a HUGE fantasy fan, but they just weren't the right kind of books for me...

Xmashorse

Back to top Go down

Post  PhazonDragon Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm

kaerlighed wrote:Out of Death Note and Vampire Knight, I think you'd rather like Vampire Knight. It's hard to say truly.

When I first came to reading Vampire Knight, It was quite boring to me, but I'm only talking about the first few books. Later on, things start happening and you learn many thing about the characters. Sometimes it's kinda hard to follow the characters only because some look alike and there are so many. If you are like me (I tend to read a little either online or from a friends book then purchasing it) I'd read maybe the first few chapters online; there's like 5ish in the first book.

It's got quite to story to it, the best part though are the last few books when stuff start happening. the 11th recently came out.

I would have suggested Absolute Boyfriend, but from the one's you listed, I'm not sure you'd like it. I only read the first 4 books. and there are 6 if I remember correctly.

I have recently got into manga books so I only know the four I mentioned, but reading the plot line of Wolf's Rain, I might actually pick up that manga and read it sometime.
Interesting.... I've never had Vampire Knight recommended to me. A friend told me to read Death Note.

I do tend to read a little bit online, if I can, but if I like the series, then I want to support the author/artist and I end up buying them. Plus, I like the feel of having something in my hands while I read. XD

I looked up both Vampire Knight and Absolute Boyfriend, and I have to say that I don't think I'd like either of those. XD;; They're both shojo, and I don't have an affinity for shojo... -sigh- Thanks anyway... I'll keep them in mind though, because you never know... Maybe I'll read a few pages, see if I like them or not. Vampire Knight seems like one I'd be more interested in, over Absolute Boyfriend, but I'm wary.

Wolf's Rain is a great manga. It's short, and fairly easy to follow, if you ask me. One character is blind, and I don't know why but I love that. XD Maybe it's how they're portrayed in the manga... I roleplay a blind dragon on one of my forums, so I kinda understand how hard it is to play them... You know? There isn't much to go off of in terms of sight. Anyway, I'm babbling.

Xmashorse, I have a friend who doesn't like Tolkien either, so it's not just you. XD I found that I liked the books, at least the LotR series. I tried reading Silmarillion, and I didn't make it past the first chapter... Not even the first ten pages. I got bored easily and quickly. That's the thing with Tolkien--he tends to go off on giant tangents and the like, and his novels get a bit dry until the action starts... -shrugs-

Might I suggest Ursula K. Le Guin? She's an older writer, like Tolkien, but I think her writing is more interesting. I've only read one novel, and a short story by her, but I really liked both of them. http://zerotonin.livejournal.com/97378.html That's the short story, The Wife's Story. It's only a few pages, and unless you're good at picking up subtle hints, I doubt you'll see the ending coming. XD I know I didn't. Her writing is just... amazing.
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoshiryu Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:39 pm

I haven't read Vampire Knight or Death Note, but I'm hoping the Death Note manga is as good as the live-action movie. :3

I've read most of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books *Currently reading #14* and I love them. ^_^ Other reading favorites are Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Series, Bruce Coville's Unicorn Chronicles, and the Catfantastic books. The Catfantastics are anthologies. :3

Manga-wise I love CardCaptor Sakura, Full Metal Alchemist, and Magic Knight Rayearth.

I'm not much of a Tolkien fan either. ^^; It's too detailed and kinda slow paced for me. I love the movies, so I guess the stories themselves I would love if I could sit through them. Wink

Hoshiryu

Back to top Go down

Post  kaerlighed Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Hoshiryu wrote:I haven't read Vampire Knight or Death Note, but I'm hoping the Death Note manga is as good as the live-action movie. :3

I actually think the books are better then any movie/anime that's out. Smile I read the books first too, and they were great.

And Phazon Dragon, I didn't think you'd like to read either manga I mentioned, but out of them all It was Vampire Knight. lol I'll look up Wolf's rain, and I am like you, I read em (sometimes) online and If i like em, I take a trip to the mall the have the book. I also like having the book in hand when reading. Smile lol

I may own all of the Guardians of Ga'hoole, but I have like four I haven't read. Then I have half of some books not read, and then I have like 4 books from the Warrior series (and I tell you, I plan on re reading Guardians of Ga'hoole, but I refuse to re read the Warriors. 38 books, no way. XD Maybe later, but for now, I'll wait till the story is completed, which it's not yet.)

I do own the Twilight books, but I read those way before I watched the movies and I say, the movies ruin the books. :/
kaerlighed
kaerlighed

Back to top Go down

Post  snowfirez Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:42 am

yay finally there's a topic on books!!
i'm quite a book worm myself so to say...
i do have quite a vast amount of books in my collection so i think i'll only list some of my favourites here or it shall take forever to list them all!
which is kinda hard cause i love all my books and whatever i have, they're all my favourites!!
lets see... where shall we start...

- Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs (about werewolves!)
- The Vampire Diaries series by L.J. Smith (duh the title says it all vampires!)
- The Inheritance series (used to be a triology but not anymore since there's a fourth book) by Cristopher Paolini
- The Forbidden Game by L.J. Smith
- Dark Visions by L.J. Smith
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- lots and lots of random horror stories by various authors

there're more to come cause i have a problem of remembering book titles and authors (when i remember a book title i forgot who wrote it and vise versa) and it'll be a real pain in the butt if i actually have to open my boxes after boxes just to get the book title right or the author's name right... well yea my books are actually stored in boxes cause my mum says there're just too many to fit into a bookshelf so i had no choice but to pack them up neatly into boxes (careful not to bend or spoil any of them!) so yea its kinda hard if i actually had the urge to reread any of the books that were already packed in boxes but i think i have a whole load of new books just sitting on my table waiting for me to read so that'll no doubt keep me company for a while Very Happy
planning to get more books after christmast!! well, i'm just that mad about collecting books especially books that comes in sets/series teehee~
so kindly recommend any good stuff you guys read
snowfirez
snowfirez

Back to top Go down

Post  PhazonDragon Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:05 am

Oooh, Hoshiryu. High five. Another FMA fan! :D I also second Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest series. I've read a few of those, courtesy of my friend, who was a huge fan of her work a couple years ago.

lol Kaer... Yeah, I dunno. I'm picky with my manga. Like fanfiction and roleplay... I'm so darned picky with it that it's hard to find one that I'll tolerate, let alone like. Ah well... Most of the manga that I've looked at tend to be for teens, or around that age group, and I find that I like the more mature or less-known stuff. XP Okay, that's a tiny lie, but that's not the point. I swear I'll find another manga that I enjoy, eventually!

Hm re-reading 38 Warriors books? I don't know how long each book in the other series is, but if they're about the same as the first series, then I might be able to 're-read' that in a week? Maybe? Thing is, I'd probably get sick of it after a while. There's only so much cat I can take in one day! :|

I've heard of the Alpha and Omega series, since I read one book by Patricia Briggs, and I did mention it earlier--Dragon Bones--so if that's one of your favorite series... They're on my list of books to read, definitely.

I remember reading Eragon when it was first published... XD I liked it, but think if I were to re-read it now, after a few years, I wouldn't like it as much. I've read Eldest though there was a dry spot in the middle or something, that I think I glanced over because it was boring... And I haven't read Brisingr (pfft. Should have been called Empire. /joke) but I've hear mixed feelings about it. One of my classmates, whom I respect for his taste in novels, said it was worth the read, but I don't think I've been brave enough to take it on. XD

And Snowfire, I'm going to recommend the Discworld series to you. XD It's by Terry Pratchett, and very entertaining, if you haven't read any of them yet.

Okay, so I have a question for you all. Favorite genre of novel? Apart from fantasy, since I think we can all agree on that. XD What else have you read/liked besides fantasy?
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  kaerlighed Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:36 pm

I enjoy reading,
-paranormal
-mystery
-fantasy (of course)

stuff like that I guess. Possibly more, just can't think of them at the top of my head. (Kaer owns a lot of vampire/witch/werewolf books. lol)

lol Kaer... Yeah, I dunno. I'm picky with my manga. Like fanfiction and roleplay... I'm so darned picky with it that it's hard to find one that I'll tolerate, let alone like. Ah well... Most of the manga that I've looked at tend to be for teens, or around that age group, and I find that I like the more mature or less-known stuff. XP Okay, that's a tiny lie, but that's not the point. I swear I'll find another manga that I enjoy, eventually!

I am fussy on certain books, But i can get into most that I've picked up. School books on the other hand, there was only one I enjoyed reading, though it was in french. Rouge Poison.

Hm re-reading 38 Warriors books? I don't know how long each book in the other series is, but if they're about the same as the first series, then I might be able to 're-read' that in a week? Maybe? Thing is, I'd probably get sick of it after a while. There's only so much cat I can take in one day! Neutral

I could probably read em in a week or two if I wanted too; the are the same size as the first ones, but there are some side books counted in that total that are way smaller and way bigger.
The thing that I liked about the books is that the authors change the main caracters in each part.
**Warriors: Firestar
**Warriors, The New Prophecy: Brambleclaw and Squirreflight
**Warriors, Power of Three: Lionblaze, Jayfeather, Hollyleaf (one book left here)
**Warriors, Omen of the stars: Dovekit and Ivykit (never read these yet)
It's the only Reason I have not gotten bored of them yet.
kaerlighed
kaerlighed

Back to top Go down

Post  skibbereenfarms Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Harry Potter, FTW! xD

But in all seriousness, there's really only one book that I can think of that I absolutely fell in love with when I read it, and I haven't read a book since that can top it (in my opinion); The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I absolutely love the story, and I think Zusak did an awesome job writing it. It's a World War II story set in Germany about a little German who develops a love for books and a friendship with a Jewish man. I just love this book so much. |D

Other than that...I just stick to The Tales of Beedle the Bard and How to Survive a Garden Gnome Attack. xD
skibbereenfarms
skibbereenfarms

Back to top Go down

Post  kaerlighed Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:34 pm

skibbereenfarms wrote:It's a World War II story set in Germany about a little German who develops a love for books and a friendship with a Jewish man.

Even tho is sounds like an interesting book, it's not my type so I wont get into this kind of story.

I own a book (somewhere) that is based during the Wolrd War II but I never picked it up to read.

I am fussy with books and have a hard time finding new ones. I look at the cover first then turn the book over to read the back, and then a little in the book before deciding if I will like it.
kaerlighed
kaerlighed

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum