Avadopts Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interaction Forum

2 posters

Go down

Should there be a Fan Art section of the forum?

Interaction Forum I_vote_lcap33%Interaction Forum I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
Interaction Forum I_vote_lcap67%Interaction Forum I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 6 ]
Interaction Forum I_vote_lcap0%Interaction Forum I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 9

Interaction Forum Empty Interaction Forum

Post  Mineya Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Since I technically only have jurisdiction over a small section of this forum (although I try to help out elsewhere, of course), I'm always poking around in it and wondering if there's ways to improve it! ^_^ I'd like to throw this up as a suggestions thread. First suggestion: Fan Art. Yes? No? Thoughts perhaps?
Mineya
Mineya

Back to top Go down

Interaction Forum Empty Re: Interaction Forum

Post  PhazonDragon Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Sure. :D I'd love to see one. I love browsing through art, so I'm sure I'd visit, and probably post in the fan art section. Who knows, I might post my own art, if I'm not lazy.

So yes, but no rush. XD

Edit: But I just had a thought. I mentioned a section for 'writing' in a different thread, though I'll bring it up here. Why not have forums for 'Writing' and 'Art', with subforums for fan fiction, and fan art?

Just throwing it out there.
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mineya Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 pm

PhazonDragon wrote:Edit: But I just had a thought. I mentioned a section for 'writing' in a different thread, though I'll bring it up here. Why not have forums for 'Writing' and 'Art', with subforums for fan fiction, and fan art?

Just throwing it out there.

I thought about this too! Of course, it only raises the question of what else would go into the Writing and Art section. I guess subforums would be things like "Avatar Fiction" and "Other Fiction", etc., and likewise for Art. Would that be enough, though?
Mineya
Mineya

Back to top Go down

Post  PhazonDragon Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm

Mineya wrote:I thought about this too! Of course, it only raises the question of what else would go into the Writing and Art section. I guess subforums would be things like "Avatar Fiction" and "Other Fiction", etc., and likewise for Art. Would that be enough, though?
That's not what I was thinking... Why not just a forum for writing, then a subforum for fan fiction, with the assumption that the fan fic (and likewise, fan art) is Avatar-related.

A writing forum, or more on topic, an art forum, doesn't need to be divided up so thoroughly. There doesn't need to be a separate subforum for poetry, a separate subforum for non-fiction, and a separate subforum for fiction.. It's unnecessary considering how small this forum, and the site, is at the time.

Perhaps in the future, when there are hundreds of active members on the forums, then they can be further divided up, but at this point.. I don't feel it's necessary. Besides, when it comes to art, members tend to make a thread for all of their works into one, as opposed to one per art work done. And I've seen the same for prose, though I've also seen members post new thread for each work (i.e. each different fan fic and the like).
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mineya Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:16 pm

PhazonDragon wrote:That's not what I was thinking... Why not just a forum for writing, then a subforum for fan fiction, with the assumption that the fan fic (and likewise, fan art) is Avatar-related.

A writing forum, or more on topic, an art forum, doesn't need to be divided up so thoroughly. There doesn't need to be a separate subforum for poetry, a separate subforum for non-fiction, and a separate subforum for fiction.. It's unnecessary considering how small this forum, and the site, is at the time.

Perhaps in the future, when there are hundreds of active members on the forums, then they can be further divided up, but at this point.. I don't feel it's necessary. Besides, when it comes to art, members tend to make a thread for all of their works into one, as opposed to one per art work done. And I've seen the same for prose, though I've also seen members post new thread for each work (i.e. each different fan fic and the like).

Whoops, sorry -- I meant to put Writing and Art sectionS. Do you mean renaming the "Fanfiction" forum to "Writing" and then adding an Art forum?

You're right that the site is still very small and such finely-divided sections won't be used so much, but the idea is that in the future, hopefully the site will be so big that all of those subforums will be filled with their own relevant stuff. I would suggest the more specific subforums with the idea in mind that people will be more likely to use what they can see is available. My experience with forum writing sections has mostly been that certain types of writers and artists will only really post their work if they feel like they're surrounded by like minds. Some people can't get enough attention on their work and post it anywhere they can, of course, but in the interests of being user-friendly, subforums also cut down on confusion and provide a "nook", of sorts, and a common environment.

You may disagree with any of this, of course -- you obviously interact/roleplay a lot on other forums and it's only my own experience. And I don't think the subforums would be needed by any means, but I do believe they would help, and foster engagement.

I am... clearly rambling off-topic, however! I will attempt to stick to my own point.
Mineya
Mineya

Back to top Go down

Post  PhazonDragon Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Mineya wrote:Whoops, sorry -- I meant to put Writing and Art sectionS. Do you mean renaming the "Fanfiction" forum to "Writing" and then adding an Art forum?

You're right that the site is still very small and such finely-divided sections won't be used so much, but the idea is that in the future, hopefully the site will be so big that all of those subforums will be filled with their own relevant stuff. I would suggest the more specific subforums with the idea in mind that people will be more likely to use what they can see is available. My experience with forum writing sections has mostly been that certain types of writers and artists will only really post their work if they feel like they're surrounded by like minds. Some people can't get enough attention on their work and post it anywhere they can, of course, but in the interests of being user-friendly, subforums also cut down on confusion and provide a "nook", of sorts, and a common environment.

You may disagree with any of this, of course -- you obviously interact/roleplay a lot on other forums and it's only my own experience. And I don't think the subforums would be needed by any means, but I do believe they would help, and foster engagement.

I am... clearly rambling off-topic, however! I will attempt to stick to my own point.
Oh, I didn't even notice the typo there. I meant I was a bit confused on the "Avatar Fiction" and the "Other Fiction" subforums that you were suggesting. Because like I mentioned, and you mention, the forum is small right now. Extra forums that have no threads in them make the forum look unused and lifeless, which is why I was saying lets not add unnecessary forums/subforums until the forum grows more.

But, you explained what you meant, and I completely agree. That'd be my own experience as well, and I feel the same way about my own works. Because honestly, it's disheartening to see no replies to your thread, and then you feel like it's not good enough when in reality, there aren't any other people with the same interests as you.

I do like that suggestion of renaming 'Fanfiction' to 'Writing' however. Just to broaden the forum, and allow for all kinds of prose, instead of limiting it to just Avatar fanfictions. And the same goes for an Art forum. At the same time, fanfiction and fan art is allowed, while also leaving the area open for those who do original work.
PhazonDragon
PhazonDragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down